Looking for fall activities to keep yourself and the kids occupied as the leaves change? Patch has you covered.
We will feature pick-your-own farms and local autumn and Halloween events, and you can watch the list grow every day through our Pick-Your-Own Farms article.
Today, we feature Dearborn Market in Holmdel.
2170 Route 35, Holmdel
Pick-your-own Pumpkins and Harvest Hayrides
- Every weekend in October, and on Columbus Day: Take a round-trip wagon ride out to the pumpkin patch, where children can enjoy the hay bale pyramid, hay bale maze, and straw crawl There’s also a harvest backdrop set up for photo ops. The cost is $3 per person; children 1 and under ride free. Pony rides are an additional $5 (Saturdays and Sundays in October only).
- Oct. 13 & 14, Sat and Sun, 11 a.m.: Scarecrow Stuffing
- Oct. 20, Sat, 11: Children’s “Mumpkin” Activity It’s a fall centerpiece involving—you guessed it!—mums and pumpkins. “It’s really cute,” says Nicole Luccarelli, Dearborn’s Director of Marketing and Promotions. “They did it last year, and it’s a fun workshop.”
- Oct. 21, Sun, 11 a.m.: Free Face-painting and Honky Tonk Ranch Petting Zoo
- Oct. 27, Sat, 11 a.m.: Halloween Costume Contest
“We also sell lots of different gourds and squashes that we mainly market for decorative purposes, but a lot of the squashes you can eat, like spaghetti squash and acorn squash,” Luccarelli said. “We’re big foodies here, and it’s a great time for those kinds of seasonal foods. We all get excited as the seasons come because that means certain foods that we wouldn’t necessarily eat all year are available local now.”
In addition to the garden center, Dearborn Market sells a wide variety of food items and features a full-service deli, seafood, prepared dishes, a full-service catering menu, and more.
“On a daily basis, we have such a great, loyal customer base. We see a lot of the same faces every day. And that’s what we like about it—We want it to be an intimate customer service-oriented place to get your groceries,” says Luccarelli. “This time of year is a lot of fun, too, because we get a lot of people who come from outside this area, because they might not have access to these things. We get a lot of new customers and people interested in the activities.”