I know ... getting old really STINKS! I wish I had a magic potion for everyone so that we could all stay young and healthy forever.
But, seriously, what can we do to keep our bodies from deteriorating so fast? Answer: weight training and stretching.
I know it’s been said before, but the combination of weight training and stretching has been proven to help you maintain a healthier and more productive lifestyle in your golden years.
Who wants to be limited in their everyday activities after you have worked so hard all your life and are ready to finally enjoy all of the things you ever wanted to do? Not me.
So how do you go about it? What are some things you must do? Let’s take a look:
1. Talk to your doctor and get a complete physical.
2. Make a pledge to yourself that now is the time to start and nothing will change your mind.
3. Contact a certified personal trainer and ask a ton of questions. Most personal trainers should be able to give you a free consultation (like myself) and tell you exactly what you need to do to start a program. (*Remember: aerobic, strength training and stretching should be part of your program … no exception.)
4. Be patient and think positive. Things take time to materialize and your body is no exception. If you devote yourself physically(as well as mentally), you should see some results in as little as six months.
5. Eat a well-balanced diet. Your trainer should be able to give you some ideas on what to eat or not. If not, contact a nutritionist or a dietician ... they will definitely be able to point you in the right direction.
Remember, the first step is always the hardest. But, I will guarantee you that if you make a pledge to yourself to stick with the program, you will enjoy your golden years beyond your wildest expectations.
Take care and talk to you real soon.