Do you spend all of your time scouring the job boards for a job and wonder why you can’t find one? Then it’s no wonder why you aren’t out there interviewing. (Companies hide the jobs, yet you continue seeking and not finding any.) The hidden job market is a term used to describe jobs that aren't posted online or advertised. It can make up to 95% of jobs that are available.
In such a competitive job market, internal hiring managers and HR are challenged to find no-cost and low-cost talent. They may not even have a recruiting budget to work with. They are strategic about how they conduct an applicant search, and if you want to be found and considered, you need to be strategic and pro-active as well.
A few tips:
- Connect directly with the companies where you seek employment. They may not be advertising, but that does not mean they do not have openings, or may not consider you for a future position.
- If you see an advertisement for a position that is above/below your level, don’t discount yourself by not sending out the resume. Indicate your interest in the department/company. The position that they originally were looking to be filled may get upgraded or downgraded, and you might then be the right fit.
- Follow companies and be in the know about personnel and business changes. If a company has expanded or acquired a new client, they may be in need of building up their team.
- Make sure you can be found. Complete your LinkedIn profile, join groups, follow companies, and let people know you are looking. If you are an expert in your field, create a blog, create a following. Get your voice out there.
- Make sure your job search marketing materials are in order. There is nothing worse than meeting someone at an event on a Saturday night who knows of a great opportunity for you in their organization and wants to walk your resume into someone on Monday… and you don’t have one.
Marlboro resident Michelle A. Riklan is a certified professional résumé writer, career coach, public speaker, and employment interview consultant.
Michelle A. Riklan, ACRW, CPRW, CEIC
Résumés that land on the top of the pile!
Coaching that puts you ahead of the competition.
Training that ensures career advancement.
We want you to reach your top potential!