The Marlboro Youth Exchange program is looking for volunteers to become host families to students from .
In February 2011, 12 students from Wujiang City, China came into the homes of Marlboro host families. This August, Wujiang City students will visit Marlboro every other summer for one week. Wujiang City students will stay in a home with a host child of the same gender. The host child is typically between the ages of 13 and 16.
To host a student from China:
• Students visit for one week typically arriving late in the summer.
• Students and host families get to know each other at a welcome reception.
• Students receive a photo ID for the Marlboro Swim Club for their stay and an optional day at the swim club is often organized for everyone.
• Day trips to New York and/or Philadelphia will be scheduled during the visit for the students and interested host family members.
• Other activities are organized, including a tour of Marlboro municipal buildings and schools.
• During the times when no structured activities are scheduled, the students get a glimpse of the life of a typical American family.
• A farewell dinner party ends the week where the students put on a special performance to thank the families.
Host children are expected to participate in fundraising activities and to represent the program at various events both before and after hosting the Chinese students.
To become an exchange student in China:
Students can become ambassadors in Wujiang City, China, during Spring Break. Students will tour several cities in China and experience life with a typical Chinese family.
Students who have been a part of a Marlboro host family previously will be considered for this upcoming trip.
Consideration for students to travel to China include:
• Written essay
• Previous hosting of Wujiang City students
• Participation in fundraising activities and events
The costs incurred by the family for the trip vary based on various factors including the exchange rate.
For more information about becoming a host family or traveling to China, contact Amy Bouer at firstname.lastname@example.org or Lori Belasco at email@example.com.