As the township () and the school district () get ready to solidify the 2012 budget, taxpayers are digging their feet in to prepare for the tax bill.
But fear not, Marlboro residents, you aren't alone. The top 10 highest tax bills in Marlboro belong to commercial properties, a fact that can provide, maybe, a little solace as you write the check. Just think, without these properties sharing the costs, it could be worse.
Top 10 taxpayers of 2011 in Marlboro*:
10. Exclusive Plaza $150,264.55
-Monster Mini Golf, ,
9. A&P Shopping Center $175,271.25
-, , ,
8. Mart Centre $176,292.83
-Weichert Realtors, ,
6. Apartment: Royal Pines at Marlboro $228,353.40
5. Brooks Edge Plaza $254,393.70
3. Industrial: Central Jersey Industrial Park, T.M.C Marlboro L.L.C $450,697.50
2. Cambridge Square, Union Hill Nine Associates $611,929.02
1. Marlboro Plaza, $733,983.91
-Vacant , ,
According to the Department of Community Affairs, as of 2011 Marlboro's total land value is $3,054,460,000. The township's taxable value is assessed at $6,897,539,085, a general tax rate of about $2 per $100 of assessed land value.
While Marlboro's potential and existing commercial ratables , it also has a healthy amount of exempt properties, such as churches, protected open space and historical landmarks. Exempt properties in the township, as of 2011, total $293,113,700.
Tell us: what other commercial properties would you like to see in Marlboro, if any?
*According to Data Universe, the projected rate excludes local fire tax, state rebate and property tax deductions/credits.